Wednesday, August 28, 2013

A Dream

Today is the 50th anniversary of the March on Washington. I'm not entirely sure how much emphasis this gets in schools anymore, both in and outside of the US. Still, Dr. King's message and speeches are a source of inspiration for many and a rallying cry for any that feel oppressed and ignored within the US.

Now, I'm white. I come from a middle class family. I've gone to college and worked. I've traveled outside of the US. I've also had months where I don't know how I can afford food, worry that the lights are about to shut off, and am trying not to think about where the month for next month's rent will come from. I like to think I've gotten to see a decent amount of the financial spectrum. That said, I know that I haven't ever had to live in fear of my life. I haven't had to worry about losing my job because of my skin color. Or sexual orientation. Or religious beliefs. I haven't had to worry that I may lose my home or fear for my physical safety because of any of these things.

Still, when I got on to G+ this morning, I saw one of the most wonderfully written things mimicking and adapting Dr. King's I Have A Dream speech.

"I have a dream. That we will face our inequalities. That we will admit that our racism, hate and sexism is a product of our fear of the unknown. That all people are worth while, worth the smile and hello on the street, letting that one car in when they want to move over in heavy traffic, and even if we don't like an idea it deserves the respect of a healthy debate. I have a dream that we will judge people on the content of our character but not the way we look, live or work."

My girlfriend wrote that. It both made me smile and remember the reasons I love her as well as give me hope. These are some of the things I hope people strive for. This is part of walking the path. It is another way to say it and another way to look at it. Its truth rings out just as much though.

I wanted to place this thought somewhere I could easily find it again so I could look at it and remember. As this blog is also to share my ideas of the Path I started to walk, it seems appropriate to share this here.

No comments:

Post a Comment